Once you have figured out what style of interior you want and how much you want to spend, your next decision is: What colors should you use?
- Consider your location and the amount of light you have as well. Bright, hot colors work well in warm, sunny climes, where the sun diminishes their intensity. But they may not look as good in grayer northern climes.
- Sometimes the best colors can be found right outside your door — in the vegetation and rocks in your landscape.
- Just because you like wearing something doesn’t mean you’d like to live in those colors.
- Take the hue from an object you already own — ideally, an investment piece like a work of art or a rug. If you love the item, then you will usually love the same colors reflected elsewhere in the room.
- Pick paint colors last. Select fabrics and rugs first, then choose a color which works with the room as a whole.