Trends may come and go, but certain design elements will never go out of style. With our immediate access to technology, it’s easy to see the current trends. However, a timeless design will outlast the ever-revolving cycle of design trends. A home with a timeless design has a strong sense of place which is reflected in its color palette, materials, design elements, and connection to its surrounding landscape. It’s thoughtful and intentional, and functionally works now and into the future. In this month’s blog, we review those timeless elements and provide ways to embrace them in your own home.
What is Timeless Design?
Timeless design is the intentional choice to incorporate classic, functional, and aesthetically pleasing design elements over trendy, fleeting, or socially loud ideas.
Timeless colors are those that will transcend all design trends. While we can still appreciate current trends, timeless colors never grow old, can be used in different ways and will still be in style. However, timeless colors can be so overdone that they too become trendy (think of an all-gray home). Your safest bet in choosing a timeless color is make your selection based on context. Where will it be used, and how?
Three color pallets that never go out of style are:
- Jewel Tones
- Black and White
Neutrals may not excite you, and that’s ok! They are not meant to be the wow factor of your home. They are meant to assist the overall design and create cohesion.
- Try Benjamin Moore Swiss Coffee OC-45
- Try Sherwin Williams Vessel SW 9547
The jewel-tone palette pays tribute to an earthy life. The references to nature highlight the beauty of what’s around us.
- Try Benjamin Moore Dinner Party AF-300
- Try Benjamin Moore Ming Jade 2043-20
Black & White
This palette lends itself to either a very traditional and classic way of decorating or a more modern cutting-edge look.
- Try Sherwin-Williams Iron Ore SW 7069
- Try Sherwin-Williams Chantilly Lace OC-65
How to Create a Timeless Interior (2)
Now that you know how to create a timeless color palette, let’s take a look at the rest of your home. Here are three tips to create a timeless home:
Tip One: Find Your Focal Point
- The key to a classic interior is symmetry and order, with furniture placement and styling working around a key focal point, such as a fireplace.
- Need a different starting point? Find the center line of the room and use that to begin.
Tip Two: Symmetry Works Best
- To work out how to arrange your furniture, think of symmetry.
- Try to create mirror images, such as identical sofas facing each other with a coffee table between or a symmetrical gallery wall.
- Work your way around the room, addressing the large pieces of furniture first, then consider where your artwork and accessories will go – again, matching pairs usually work best.
Tip Three: Don’t be Afraid to Accessorize
- The placement of accessories is just as important in achieving a cohesive feel.
- Try one large art piece centered above a sideboard, then place two matching table lamps on either side.
How to Select Timeless Materials (3)
- Wall moldings are a great way to add interest to any design and can be customized to any design style – Mountain modern, coastal, farmhouse, etc…
- The width of the wood and the level of detail on the trim can make moldings work for any design style making them timeless.
- Wood beams, be it structural or faux, can be a great design element you can use for any design style.
- Leather furniture will always be timeless. It can either be a sofa or a chair, but you can never go wrong with a big leather piece of furniture.
- The life you can get out of a leather furniture piece can outlast most pieces you select for your home.
Let Talie Jane Interiors create a timeless design in your home. Contact us at 855-TALIE JANE (855-825-4352).
Article by the Talie Jane Interiors team.