I hate to break it to you, but designers don’t follow a secret rule book. There are no hard and fast laws governing what we do. We are creative types by nature and love to imagine, dream and explore, following our intuition. That said, there are some rough principles that guide us to ensure a great result every time. They are just tried and true things that work. And these aren’t tricks or skills that take years to master. Anyone can do them from day one. Consider this a foundation for developing your own quirky, creative, rule-breaking intuition.
1. Pick the paint color last.
2. Give your furniture some breathing room.
3. Hang artwork at the right height.
4. Know how to arrange furniture on a rug.
5. Resist the urge to be too theme-y.
6. Create a focal point.
7. Consider sight lines.
8. Edit your collectibles.
9. Vary the scale.
10. Add layers of lighting.
11. Be bold.
12. Ignore all principals in favor of creativity.